Mayor Scott Schertzer is announcing that on Tuesday, September 2nd at 6:00 pm detours will begin being posted in the downtown Marion area to accommodate activities for the 2014 Marion Popcorn Festival. Streets will remain closed until the festival’s conclusion at midnight on Saturday and may remain closed into early Sunday morning for festival clean-up. The following downtown streets will be closed to traffic beginning September 2nd at 6:00 pm:
- Center St. between State St. and Campbell St.
- Church St. between Prospect St. and Main St
- Main St. between Church St. and Huber St.
- Prospect St. between Church St. and George St.
- Oak St. between Center St. and Huber St.
Closure of a number of area streets will begin at 4:00 pm on Thursday, September 4th in preparation for and during the Popcorn Parade. The following is a list of these street changes and closures:
- Kensington St. will become two-way at 4:00 pm.
- East Center St. between Kensington St. and State St. will close at 5:00 pm.
- Forest Lawn Blvd. from Center St. to Mt. Vernon Ave. will close at 5:00 pm.
- The following streets will be closed between East Center St. and East Church St.:
- Pennsylvania Ave. - Merchant Ave. - Homer St.
- Kenmore Ave. - Clover Ave.
- The following streets will be closed between East Center St. and Wilson Ave.:
- Chicago Ave. - Boone Ave. - Franconia Ave.
- Johnson St. - True Ave.
- The following streets will be closed until the conclusion of the parade:
- State St. between Center St. and Washington St.
- Main St. between Church St. and Hill St.
- Delaware Ave. between Hill St. and Washington St.
- Hill St. between Main St. and State St.
As a result of the various street closures taking place in preparation for the Popcorn Festival Parade, on Thursday, September 4th, Marion Area Transit will be making final pick-ups at 2:00 pm, with final drop offs scheduled for 2:30 pm. Normal operating hours will resume on Friday, September 5th.