- City Government
- City Departments
- Emergency Services
- Aquatic Center
- Contact Us
Sanitation Rules and Regulations
Municipal Collection of 1) domestic refuse, rubbish and household waste (regular refuse), 2) recyclables, and 3) garden and yard waste.
- Collections will be scheduled on a regular basis.
- No collection shall occur on Sundays or holidays except in a time of emergency, or to maintain a regular schedule due to holidays.
- Collections missed due to holidays will be made on the next scheduled collection day.
- Materials to be collected must be placed at curbside (generally in the tree lawn area) by 7:00 a.m. on the scheduled collection day.
- Materials to be collected are not to be placed at curbside more than twelve hours (12 hrs) prior to the scheduled collection day.
- If collection is missed, it must be reported no later than 3:00 p.m. the day of collection in order for pick-up to occur the same week.
- Collection of domestic refuse, recyclables, garden, and yard waste will be at curbside or right of way.
- Regular refuse, recyclables, garden, and yard waste are not to be co-mingled.
- Regular refuse must be placed in rigid water and vermin proof containers with securable lids.
- Regular refuse containers must have a capacity greater than twenty gallons (20 gal.), but not more than thirty-two gallons (32 gal.). Residents are encouraged to use plastic bags in the refuse containers, smaller individual bags are preferred.
- Single filled refuse container weight limit is fifty pounds (50 lbs.).
- The number of cans per weekly pick-up is limited to six (6) per household. Larger pick-ups will follow the procedures noted under Special - Numbers 2 & 4 as outlined below.
- Paint is not accepted with regular garbage unless it is totally dried up or filled with sand. Also, materials classified as hazardous wastes will not be accepted but are managed through the DKMM organization on a periodic basis.
- Cardboard must be broken down and tied no longer than five feet (5’) long.
- Animal waste and/or disposable diapers must be wrapped such that they are undetectable by odor.
- Needles and other sharp objects must be placed in protective “sharps container” or coffee can with lids in order to be accepted.
- Discarded rugs, carpet, and/or padding must be cut into five foot (5’) lengths, rolled, taped, or tied
- Recyclables must be placed in eighteen gallon (18 gal.) rigid receptacle provided by the City.
- Garden and yard waste, excluding grass clippings, must be placed in clearly identifiable biodegradable paper bags, loose in garbage cans, or boxes.
- Brush and tree trimmings cut to maximum five foot (5’) lengths, bundled no larger than twenty-four inches (24”) in diameter, and weighing no more than fifty pounds (50 lbs.) will be collected on a variable schedule during warm weather months.
- Large auto parts, auto heads, auto bodies, auto batteries, engine parts, and tire will NOT be accepted.
- Undelivered newspaper must be taken back to supplier.
- All refuse containers must be retrieved from curbside, tree lawn, or right of way within thirty-six hours (36 hrs.) after collection.
- Backdoor collection service will be provided for residents disabled due to age or infirmity.
- Collection of large appliances and/or furniture will be one (1) item per household per month. Collection is subject to additional fees (not included in the basic collection rate) as determined by the Service Director or his authorized representative. Collection must be arranged by calling the City Garage.
- Unusually large amounts of common trash will require a special pick-up and an additional charge will be made. Please call the City Garage (7:00 am – 3:00 pm) for information and a cost estimate at 382-1479.
- Grass clippings and large amounts of yard waste should be taken to the disposal site located on the property of Park Enterprise Construction at 560 Barks Rd. W. Hours of operation vary. Residents may call 223-7275 to verify business hours. There is no charge for city residents; however, you may be asked for proof of city residency.
- Demolition material requires a special pick up with an additional charge. Call the City Garage to schedule an appointment.
- Fall Leaf and Christmas tree collections will take place on a seasonal basis throughout the City.