- City Government
- City Departments
- Emergency Services
- Aquatic Center
- Contact Us
January 9, 2012 Summary
MARION CITY COUNCIL MEETING
City Hall – Council Chambers on January 9, 2012, 7:30 PM
ROLL CALL – 8 members answered – Mr. Ratliff, Mr. Thomas, Mrs. Crowe, Mr. Smith, Mr. Osborn, Mr. Daniels, Mrs. Gustin, and Mr. Schaber.
Mr. Ratliff moved to excuse Mr. Cumston and Mr. Edwards, Mrs. Crowe seconding.
PRAYER LED BY PASTOR DOUG FORD
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Summary of Proceedings for December 27, 2011 and Special Meeting of January 2, 2012, Mrs. Crowe moved to approve, Mr. Smith seconding. Mr. Osborn noted 1 change on 12-27-2011 minutes and Mr. Ratliff noted 1 change on the January 2, minutes, both were changed on floor. The roll call: YEAS: Mr. Ratliff, Mr. Thomas, Mrs. Crowe, Mr. Smith, Mr. Osborn, Mr. Daniels, Mrs. Gustin, Mr. Schaber; NAYS: None. Summary of Proceedings is approved.
ORDINANCE AMENDING MARION CODIFIED ORDINANCE 193.14(C), ALLOCATION OF FUNDS WITHIN CHAPTER 193; MUNICIPAL INCOME TAX
Mr. Daniels noted that nobody on Council today was not in the Finance Committee, but I’ll approve it, Mr. Schaber seconding.
Mayor Schertzer spoke – the administration would like to ask Council to vote this down, it is not necessary at this time to do this right now. The way that things ended in 2011, good – It’s not necessary to do this, please vote it down tonight.
Mr. Ratliff stated that the Auditor told us before the end of last year, we were in the negative, we found out that we were in the positive, do you know what the carryover was in 2012. Mayor Schertzer said in the last business day there was in the ball park of 150,000 from EMS and income tax monies as well. Please give her a call.
Mr. Osborn said the number I was given today was 279,000. The SCMR fund is only 77,000; I agree with administration that it needs to be defeated.
Roll Call: NAYS: Mr. Ratliff, Mr. Thomas, Mrs. Crowe, Mr. Smith, Mr. Osborn, Mr. Daniels, Mrs. Gustin, Mr. Schaber. ORDINANCE 2011-91 IS DEFEATED 8-0 VOTE
ORDINANCE AUTHORIZING THE MAYOR TO EXECUTE ALL DOCUMENTS NECESSARY TO GRANT THE REAL PROPERTY OWNER OF 181 S. MAIN STREET AN EASEMENT PROVIDING AUTHORITY TO CONSTRUCT A WHEELCHAIR RAMP WITHIN THE CITY’S RIGHT-OF-WAY OF SOUTH MAIN STREET
Mr. Ratliff spoke: I’m asking for a 2nd reading tonight. ORDINANCE 2011-97 HAS HAD ITS 2nd READING
No New Business
Matters not on the Agenda:
Mr. Ratliff asked about meeting the payroll for the first week of the year. I’m assuming we made payroll, without taking any monies from the other funds.
Mayor Schertzer said please call the Auditor tomorrow, I’m not sure of all the circumstances. There is revenue being collected all the time.
Mr. Daniels asked about reduction that the Stated wanted for 2012. Mayor Schertzer said I don’t have the exact dollar amount, it was 25% starting July 1 of last year to June 30th this year and then it’s another 25% totaling 50%. Memory serves me correct we get 2 forms of local government funds. One goes to the City and then one goes to the county, we may get 47% of what the County gets. To give you a grand total, I would only be guessing. Mr. Daniels said 750,000? Mayor Schertzer said I’m not sure. Mr. Daniels said 600 – 700,000. That’s a tremendous reduction from the State. They take this money and then give it back to us as a gift. They owe us this money back and they shouldn’t have taken it in the first place. We asked about Jeff McClain and David Burke for a meeting. Mayor Schertzer said that Jeff McClain is not our rep anymore. I did call Rep. McClain and had lunch with Senator Burke last week, and asked them both that they would pass a law preventing the last 25% being cut in the local government fund come July 1st of this year. I wanted to be on record that I have asked them to do that. They could also restore the 25% cut that we are currently experiencing right not. Stop that next 25% from being a loss to the local government fund.
Mayor Schertzer spoke about Marin Luther King Day, January 16, 2012. There will be activities taken place in our community. Peace and Freedom Breakfast at the May Pavilion, 15.00 fee. There is also a march from MLK Park to down to City Hall.
Finance 1/17 @ 6:30 Budget Review
Jobs & Economic Development 1/23 @ 6:00 ½ Review of DT
½ Review of CanDo
Support for DT
Support for CanDo
Legislation Codes 1/17 @ 6:45
Regional Planning 1/25 @ 7:00 County Bldg
Streets & Sewers 1/17 @ 6:50 Auto License Tax
With no further business to come before council, Mr. Thomas adjourned the meeting.
______________________________ Dave Edwards President of Council
Clerk of Council