Mayor Scott Schertzer is announcing that at 6:00 pm on Tuesday, September 6, detours will begin being posted on the following streets in the downtown Marion area to accommodate activities for the Marion Popcorn Festival, which will be held September 8-10.
- Center St. between State St. and Campbell St.
- Church St. between Main St. and Prospect St.
- Main St. between Huber St. and Church St.
- Prospect St. between George St. and Church St.
- Oak St. between Huber St. and Center St.
Downtown streets will remain closed until the festival’s conclusion at midnight on Saturday and may remain closed into the early hours of Sunday morning for festival clean-up.
In preparation for and during the Popcorn Parade, closure of a number of area streets will begin at 4:00 pm on Thursday, September 8. The following is a list of street changes and closures:
- Kensington St. will become two-way at 4:00 pm.
- East Center St. between Kensington St. and State St. will close at 5:00 pm.
- Forest Lawn Blvd. from Center St. to Mt. Vernon Ave. will close at 5:00 pm.
- The following streets will be closed between East Center St. and East Church St.:
|- Pennsylvania Ave.
||- Merchant Ave.
||- Homer St.
|- Kenmore Ave.
||- Clover Ave.
||- Spencer St.
- The following streets will be closed between East Center St. and Wilson Ave.:
|- Chicago Ave.
||- Boone Ave.
|| - Franconia Ave.
|- Johnson St.
||- True Ave.
- The following streets will be closed until the conclusion of the parade:
- State St. between Center St. and Washington St.
- Main St. between Church St. and Hill St.
- Delaware Ave. between Hill St. and Washington St.
- Columbia St. between Main St. and State St.
- Hill St. between Main St. and State St.
As a result of the various street closures taking place in preparation of the Popcorn Festival Parade on Thursday, Marion Area Transit will be making final pick-ups at 2:00 pm, with final drop offs scheduled for 2:30 pm on September 8. Normal operating hours will resume on Friday, September 9.